35 mins - Hinemoa Street
The original entry to the Village was from Hinemoa Street (formerly known as Hauraki Road) and is flanked by two churches - All Saints and St Andrews. Hinemoa Street meanders for 2km from Auckland's first working wharf to the Village at the top.
In 1913 Birkenhead was advertised as Auckland's most "healthful" marine suburb. An idyllic location, it was known as one of Auckland's first holiday retreats reached by ferry.
Points of Interest
- William Thompson House 9 Hinemoa St - Owned by an unsuccessful farmer who made a success selling strawberry jam!
- Clows Bakery 81 Hinemoa St
- Post Office South Junction of Maritime and Hinemoa St
- Ravenhill - est as Stotts Butchery 98 Hinemoa St
- Gum Diggers est as The Bakery 146 Hinemoa St
- Royal Thai est as Samuel Roberts General Store - est 1910circa 243 Hinemoa St
- Bambina est as Henry Hawkins Grocery 245 Hinemoa St
- Oborn Building Highbury Corner - 1923 formerly WH Payne Building
- 1927 War Memorial Nell Fisher Reserve, a significant landmark on the four road junction
- Chelsea Sugar Archives Room Library 204 Hinemoa St
- Highbury Corner The original junction where four roads meet.