45min loop track
This walk begins at Highbury's oldest Church, at Zion Hill. Stroll past Hammond Place, and then on to the historic art deco buildings (1920-1950) located in and around Highbury Corner. The little village remains true to its roots. Since its development in 1923 there's always been a butcher, a baker (and now a candlestick maker), fish shop, general goods store, land agent, shoe shop, drapery, and photographer around Highbury Corner. It's here that the four original roads of Birkenhead meet up. The walk finishes at All Saints Church - formerly Forester's Hall the social centre of the Village!
Interactive mobile walk
Use your mobile phone to read the QR codes on our heritage plaques to get to the heritage walk mobile site
QR scanners:for Android
, for iPhone
Do the walk without a mobile phone by finding the plaques at heritage locations around the village.
Points of Interest
- Zion Hill Church - Named after Mt Zion by a visiting Presbyterian Minister. First church, 1880
- Hammond Place - Named after WF Hammond an early surveyor and developer.
- George Jasper House and Fredrick Morris Block - The first allotment - eight buildings built by WH Payne 1927. 17-19 and 1-15 Birkenhead Ave.
- Oborn Building - Built by WH Payne in 1923.
- Yarntons Highbury Buildings - Built in 1933, one of 3 buildings built by WH Payne.
- War Memorial - 1927, fantastic example of the Art Deco style, substantial landmark, junction of four roads.
- Samuel Roberts and Henry Hawkins General Store - Oldest and original commercial building built circa 1910. 243 Hinemoa St.
- Sutcliffe Garage - 200 Hinemoa St
- All Saints Church - 1910, originally Foresters Hall, note forest imagery on stained glass windows and original kauri wood.
- St Andrews Church
- Birkenhead Primary School - land purchased 1913, built 1919.