The original entry to the Village was from Hinemoa Street (formerly known as Hauraki Road) and is flanked by two churches - All Saints and St Andrews. Hinemoa Street meanders for 2km from Auckland's first working wharf to the Village at the top.
In 1913 Birkenhead was advertised as Auckland's most "healthful" marine suburb. An idyllic location, it was known as one of Auckland's first holiday retreats reached by ferry.
Points of Interest
William Thompson House9 Hinemoa St - Owned by an unsuccessful farmer who made a success selling strawberry jam!
Clows Bakery81 Hinemoa St
Post OfficeSouth Junction of Maritime and Hinemoa St
Ravenhill - est as Stotts Butchery 98 Hinemoa St
Gum Diggersest as The Bakery 146 Hinemoa St
Royal Thaiest as Samuel Roberts General Store - est 1910circa 243 Hinemoa St
Bambinaest as Henry Hawkins Grocery 245 Hinemoa St
Oborn BuildingHighbury Corner - 1923 formerly WH Payne Building
1927 War MemorialNell Fisher Reserve, a significant landmark on the four road junction
Chelsea Sugar Archives RoomLibrary 204 Hinemoa St
Highbury Corner The original junction where four roads meet.